Tuesday 9 July 2013

Some people build fences to keep people out and other people build fences to keep people in - August Wilson

Monday 8th July 2013 - In which it appears I never actually leave the theatre...




Tonight saw me return to the theatre yet again, but this time with Jessie who kindly agreed to come and see Fences with me. After having studied the play in American Literature, and having enjoyed it, it was a 'why not' moment. Also, we like to think Tom would be proud of us.

Moment of confusion on my part when we first stepped in to the theatre and found out our tickets were on the front row of the dress circle. I have not sat that close since I saw We Will Rock You and considering that musical is a hazy memory, it was a long time ago. However, they were correct and I experienced a front, centre view.

I really enjoyed it - it was interesting to see the differences between me reading the text and imagining the action, to actually seeing it on stage. Parts were funny that I didn't read as such, and other parts were deadly serious. I found myself quoting along to some of the words so I probably looked like a muttering mad (wo)man to the people around me.

The only bit that freaked me out was Gabriel at the end grieving his brother. I just sat in my seat feeling socially awkward (no change for me there then.)

It was good to enjoy the night before I receive my results and see how badly I've screwed up.
Edit on 11th July - I've actually gone up from first year. This information agrees with me. :)

Books Read; Catcher In The Rye by J.D.Salinger - when people have told me this book had no plot, I was in disbelief. How can a book that appears endlessly on those '50 books to read before you die' lists have no plot? Actually, how can ANY book have no plot? Surely in order for it to be published there needs to be a plot? There was no plot. I'm not sure what I read for 192 pages, but I read something. I didn't entirely hate it all either. 

Black Heart by Holly Black - the finale book in the series & it was most definitely the best. I also realise how emotionally involved I get in fictional character's relationships! No change there then.

No comments:

Post a Comment