Sunday 12 January 2014

I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I had built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts - Henry David Thoreau

30th December 2013 - 9th January 2014 - The Spirit of America

What could I possibly say about Massachusetts? For a state that proudly declares on it's license plate that it is 'the Spirit of America', from what I saw, it is a state very proud of it's literature, history, culture and overall 'American-ness'. This blog will be slightly different from my previous entries - instead of going through by days, I will instead go through by places (because some days we simply played in the most snow I have ever seen in my life, or simply had a slow relaxing afternoon playing backgammon!)

Boston - We did the entire Freedom Trail. Picture that. The entire thing. I can't complain, Abi did what I wanted to do in Concord (see end of blog) so as a good friend, I returned the favour.

Got tired of walking so went the rest of the way by donkey.

The great thing was the end of the day - I tried Boston Clam Chowder. IT WAS AMAZING. How is this not a thing at home?

The last day, just Abi and I went into Boston. We finished the freedom trail (walking to Bunker Hill) but the inside was closed...great (notice this, it will become a theme for the trip). She also wanted to go to, which I admit sounded fun, the Tea Party Museum in which we could have thrown tea into the harbour. Arrived - 'the museum is closed due to a frozen pipe, sorry for the inconvenience'. A frozen pipe. It is New England...in winter...WHAT WERE THEY EXPECTING TO HAPPEN, GLORIOUS SUNSHINE?! Abi got herself peppermint hot chocolate (revolting on several levels 1) mint and 2) hot chocolate) to make herself feel better. We then went back to Quincy Market before returning to the Boston Common and going for a little walk. We got chased by a demon squirrel. Those things should be hibernating or something.

 People were playing ice hockey and others were also risking life to stand on the ice. This is the closest I got.

Cambridge - After being snowed in for 2 days...

I thought I'd help out shovelling the drive way.

we decided to brave the temperatures (even though the roads were surprisingly clear; England take note!) and trek to Harvard! It's a lot smaller than I was expecting, saying that, I'm not sure what I was expecting but definitely bigger. If it was pretty in the snow, it must follow suit when it's green.

Hillary and I attempting a 'clever face' - because that's what people in Harvard look like all the time...right?

We didn't do much while there apart from look around Harvard, quickly circle the town and eat Mexican food at Border (so good!) but hey, it was a good day out!

Salem - Unfortunately nothing was open. By nothing, I am excluding the spooky spirit shops because all of them appeared to be open but the witch museums and even the house of Seven Gables were closed! It was a very Hawthorne-y place because there is a statue there of him in which people mistake for a warlock and we saw the house in which he wrote The Scarlet Letter. Still, walking around the town in what must have been -17 degrees Celsius with the windchill was interesting. It must be so lively in the summer and I hope to return at the end of the year to confirm that prediction.

Concord - BEST DAY OF BEING IN AMERICA SO FAR. Was that too enthusiastic? Or was that not enthusiastic enough? It was like all of my dreams had come true. The day started at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery where we were met with a 'Cemetery closed sign' - the world started to collapse around me, my breath quickened, I HAD BOUGHT FLOWERS so naturally we stepped over the sign and walked to Author's Ridge.

Abi morbidly put it as; 'this is the closest you're ever going to get to him, 6 feet under ground'. I didn't cry here...but I did get a bit emotional.

Flowers delivered, we made our way to Walden Pond. Prepare yourself for the happiest photos of me you will ever see in your life.



Because his arm is outstretched, Abi thought it would be a good idea to do a 'dramatic dip' pose. It went well for her. However, there is a bit more of me bulky wise so it made me chuckle!



In case you haven't figured out from these photos, Thoreau is the love of my life (sorry it's not a real, breathing man mum!) I just loved the recreation of the cabin. When I return in the summer, I plan to visit the actual site he stayed at plus go swimming in Walden Pond. It was rather frozen over when we went - however the people ice fishing probably liked the conditions.


Next, we visited Orchard House, the home of the Alcotts. Visitors are not allowed to take photos inside but it was really cool to see where Louisa May Alcott wrote Little Women. Finally, we went to Concord Museum - I wished to go to see the Thoreau collection (including the desk he did many of his writings on) and Emerson's study. I'm planning on coming back - I want to see Thoreau Farm and go inside Emerson's house (which are closed for winter). If I had a spare $800,000+ lying about, I would move there. Maybe in a few....forty years.

To conclude..


This is Abi, on her way to steal your man.

No comments:

Post a Comment