Thursday 12 June 2014

The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and beauty in the world - F.Scott Fitzgerald

Friday 30th May - Wednesday 4th June 2014; NEW YORK. Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.

Saturday (31st) - In the morning, I went to the Jewish Museum. Then I went to see the 9/11 Memorial. I was going to see Theodore Roosevelt's birth place but the trains that day were rivalling a London weekend time table. A 30 minute journey took me an hour and 30 minutes! That evening we went to Times Square. It was everything I imagined it to be & I loved it; so many people, so many lights... it was so much fun! It did feel weird shopping at 11 o'clock at night but when in New York...

Times Square shot! 

The Disney store on Times Square had the lanterns from Tangled & this made me very happy as it is one of the most romantic Disney scenes of ALL TIME!

Sunday (1st) - First stop of the day was to the Empire State Building. See, everyone suggested to go and see the views from the Top of the Rock building but that didn't feel as special to us!


Not to sound too ungrateful about being there but from high up, all cities have the tendancy to look the same!


A tourist shot had to be taken.

Afterwards, I wanted to find 30 Rock....


And of course we found it! A few seconds before a chef who works inside the building came out and stood in front of the sign but as soon as he saw my camera in hand he moved...bless him!

The afternoon was spent in Soho - it was less touristy than Times Square so that aspect was nice. However, when Nikki needed the bathroom, she spent half an hour waiting in the queue for the privilege!


Monday (2nd) - I had a little wonder around Wall Street to begin my day. I may have gone the opposite direction from the subway station originally but I corrected that mistake! In the afternoon, I was reunited with Nikki & we went on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty.


Spot the statue past my BIG FACE.

Here she is! Just like seeing the Lincoln Memorial in DC, seeing such a famous symbol of America made me feel so lucky to have gone on this year abroad.

Afterwards, we met up with one of Nikki's friends from Colorado who has an internship in the city for the summer; we went for a drink & then for cupcakes. They were bitesized and so adorable! That evening we went to Brooklyn Bridge to see the city lights.


Luckily it was a warm evening or I would have been pretty chilly in my dress!

At the midway point of the bridge (which is longer than I thought) - I am also weirdly proud of this photo!

Tuesday (3rd) - Our final day in the city. After a late start, we went over to Central Park to try & get tickets to that evening's performance of Much Ado About Nothing; alas the outcome was more a Shakespearean tragedy than a comedy for they were sold out. Not to worry - a quick stop on the subway to Times Square & we scored ourselves tickets to Kinky Boots. I was exstatic for the rest of the day!! We met up with Chloe for a late lunch before the show began....


Ready to get my Kink on ;)
Seeing a Broadway show definately ticks another thing off my bucket list!


We met the cast afterwards - this is Andy Kelso, and he played Charlie...and he was adorable!!

And this is Billy Porter who played Lola & was fantastic. No wonder he won the Tony Award!

And this concluded my time in the big city. It was everything I had hoped it would be - busy, noisy, dirty - but I wouldn't have changed a thing! Now to my final stop; back to Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment